Tuesday 1 September 2009

Holidays in the 21st Century

I've just returned from a short break away with the family. As usual we spent it under canvas. I love sitting out somewhere peaceful and green! However, such is the pace of life in the 21st Century that folk on some campsites seem to complain about 'not having a mobile phone signal' or 'not being able to get wifi for my laptop'.

Am I strange - because I consider it a distinct advantage not having access whilst I'm on my hols. It's supposed to be a break! Yes, I do take the mobile away with me, but if folk can't reach me they can always leave a message! We do usually go off site at least once a day (the shops are only a short distance away) and can get a chance to check messages then. And emails can of course wait!

I think that people lack the discipline; they can't seem to leave the technology behind. Hmmm ... need to ponder that a bit longer. Seems to strike a chord with me, too...

No comments:

Post a Comment